Video Clips - Intra Oral Dental Assisting
(may need Quicktime to view)
Posterior Composite Restoration: Link to Demo
Crown & Bridge Procedure: Link to Demo
Orthodontic Procedure: Link to Demo
Link to Fluoride & Fluoridation - Federal, Provincial Dental Working Group
Mouth Care Demonstration Kits
SDAA has kits containing a dentiform and brush and a variety of other items to assist dental assistants to make a mouth care presentation. We include hand-outs for your participants which are age appropriate. Just let us know when you need the kit as well as the age and number of particpants and we will get a kit out to you by mail. Please allow time for delivery. Once you complete the presentation just have the teacher complete and sign a "Sign in/Out" which you will need to download off this website [located under EDUCATION tag in "Professional Delopment" area]
Long Term Care
SDAA has a kit available to assist a dental assistant to assist with an oral care presentation for caregivers in Long Term Care facilities.
Under The Dental Disciplines Act, Registered & Licenced Dental Assistants are able to work independently in a long-term care facility, provided that the duties are authorized by a dentist.
Routine delegated duties could include:
- Perform infection control procedures necessary for the maintenance of an appropriate clinical working environment.
- Recording medical, dental and nutritional histories
- Perform “Screening” according to calibration standards endorsed by the College of Dental Surgeons of Saskatchewan
- Blood Pressure measurement
- In-service training (and demonstration) of oral care procedures for staff and residents,
- dietary counseling
- Oral hygiene instruction
- Brushing and flossing of residents’ teeth
- Application of anti-cariogenic agents
- Providing instruction on the use, cleaning and maintenance of full dentures, partial dentures and implants
- Cleaning and labeling dentures
- Coordinating/scheduling resident with dental health care professional as required
- Assist dentist/hygienist/dental therapist as required through maintaining the operating field using air, water, suction and moisture control products, and passing instruments and materials with the use of four-handed dentistry.
Potential additional duties:
- Preliminary impressions
- Rubber cup polishing
- Provisional restorations
- Suture and surgical dressing removal
- Digital photography to assist in diagnosis etc.
Oral Health Resources
Saskatoon Health Region has kindly made some of their dental resources available to SDAA members via our website. Click... Your Health; from here you will need to scroll down to Public Health and click on the Oral Health Program. SHRr publications ( Dental Screening Report, K-5 Teachers Resource Manual and tearsheets) are all available here.
There are additional public health publications available on this site. Click: Dental-Health; scroll down to find any of the publications. There are also additional publications available which you can acess by contacting the Dental Health Educator in your health region.
Saskatchewan Health Information Resources Partnership
Need health information to assist with patient care? Key dental resources are available to dentists, therapists hygienists and dental assistants, and usernames and passwords can be issued to any interested dental team members. Log into the www.shirp.ca website and apply for a user name and password. SHIRP will contact SDAA to confirm your membership.
"Scaling, Our Perspective" - SDAA
link to SDAA Scaling Report 2005
"Regulatory Viewpoint on Scaling" - 2007
link to Scaling Regulatory Viewpoint
Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence
Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence
Clinicians 5A Tobacco Cessation Intervention
Dental Health Professions Working Group Statement